Call Now For Help With Rats!
Veteran Owned And Operated
Local Family Company
National Wildlife Control Educator
Call Now For Help With Rats!
Roof Rat Control in Germantown TN
- 1 Roof Rat Control in Germantown TN
Get Rid Of Roof Rats In Germantown Tennessee
Roof rats are known by a variety of names such as the fruit rat, ship rat, citrus rat et cetera. They have a distinct appearance; usually black or dark brown with smooth fur, a very long tail, large eyes and ears and a pointy face. Roof rats are adept climbers and usually prefer to build their nests above ground. Outdoors, roof rats’ nests can be found in trees, dense vegetation and woodpiles. Indoors, they prefer to live in the upper levels of the building like the attic, ceiling, rafters and cabinets.
Roof rats prefer a diet of fruits and nuts, however, like most rodents, they are omnivores and will eat almost anything when hungry. This could be meat, vegetables, tree bark, grains, insects and even pet foods. These pesky rodents are known to hoard food and stash it in their nesting places. They also prefer to nest in areas where they can easily get water to sustain them, even if it means chewing through water pipes. Many call us for Germantown snake removal and don’t know that snakes help get rid of roof rats.
Looking For Other Wildlife Control Services?
- Germantown Wildlife Control Service
- Germantown Squirrel Removal Company
- Germantown Mole Control For Lawns
- Germantown Raccoon Damage Repairs
- Germantown Snake Removal Services
- Germantown Armadillo Trapping Company
- Germantown Bat Exclusion Services
Contact Germantown roof rat Control for a wide variety of services. We provide rodent control and roof rat removal, as well as Wildlife Removal services. Many of our services are customized for you, based on the exact problem you are facing with wildlife or rats. Our licensed technicians are very thorough and are also certified by the state of Tennessee. We are known for getting animal removal jobs done right and always on time.
In order to assess the severity of the problem and to get a better idea of where to bait and trap, you will first need to perform a thorough inspection of the premises. What you’ll want to look for are any signs that rodents are present, including: droppings, tracks, gnaw marks, burrows, runways, grease marks, urine stains, live or dead rodents, and rodent sounds. You may then concentrate further preventative and control measures where the highest concentration of rodent signs are found. Source
Signs of Roof Rats
- Droppings – Roof Rat droppings are 1/4 to 1/2 inch in length, capsule shaped, with blunt ends. They are usually a shiny black, but may vary according to diet. Rat droppings are three times as large as mouse droppings.
- Tracks – Outdoors, the runways of Roof rats appear smooth, well packed, and free of vegetation. Indoors, runways appear as clean paths through dust or dirt. Roof rats leave a hind foot track of about 3/4-1 inch. A mouse’s tracks will be much shorter. Rats will also drag their tails, leaving a mark between their feet tracks. Grease marks (from the oil and dirt of rats) often appear along walls next to runways.
- Gnawing holes – Gnawing holes from Roof rats are about 2 inches or more in diameter and will have rough edges. They prefer gnawing on wood but may also damage property, electrical wiring, and food packaging.
- Urine Stains & Odors – Rodent urine deposited on rodent runways appear as a line of fine drops or streaks under an ultraviolet flashlight, or black light tool.
- Sightings & Sounds – Since rodents are nocturnal and live secretively under normal circumstances, you can be sure that regular daytime rodent sightings indicate a heavy infestation. Various sounds that indicate rodent activity include gnawing, scratching, and digging noises.
Diseases Associated with Roof Rats
Roof rats need to be treated as vermin because they do carry and spread diseases. They transmit disease directly through contact. This happens when they contaminate food with their feces. They can also transmit diseases indirectly when fleas bite a diseased rat and then bite a pet or a person. It is a known historical fact that the bubonic plague was transmitted to humans from rat fleas. This was the cause of the Black Death in Europe, a devastating pandemic in the history of mankind. Roof rats can also bite people and pets thus transmitting the rat bite fever through a bacteria strain found in their mouths.
Roof rats enter homes and other structures through small openings and crevices that they can squeeze through. They may also climb vines and tree branches that lean too close to a building to gain access. They enter homes in search of food or when looking for safe places to live away from their natural predators. It is important to seal off any possible entry way to keep them out of the house.
Simple Ways to Get Rid of Roof Rats
There are various ways to get rid of roof rats depending on how severe the infestation is. In the most severe cases, professional exterminators may be called to access the situation and deal with the infestation. However, it is possible to contain the population of roof rats and even keep them out of the house entirely. Here are some simple ways to keep these pests away.
- Make use of our professional rodent extermination services to quickly trap and remove them.
- Sanitation – this is the single most important prevention and control measure to combat a rat infestation. Store food in tightly sealed containers, empty garbage bins frequently, de-clutter the garage, attic and other areas where roof rats could nest and clear vegetation around the home.
- Exclusion – prevent roof rats from entering the home by trimming tree branches, rat proofing holes and crevices, screen air vents and make sure doors and windows fit properly in their frames.
- Starve them out – pick up any fruits that drop to ensure the rats don’t get any food or water, don’t leave pet food out at night, keep garbage containers tightly covered and limit the use of bird feeders.
Roof Rats In The Attic
A roof rat issue can be a real problem. Not only can roof rats cause damage to your home or property, they can also harm you, your family or your pets. Our pest control experts specialize in getting rid of roof rats and providing roof rat exclusion work to make sure they stay out for good. Call us today for roof rat removal in Germantown, TN.
Roof rats enter homes and other structures through small openings and crevices that they can squeeze through. They may also climb vines and tree branches that lean too close to a building to gain access. They enter homes in search of food or when looking for safe places to live away from their natural predators. It is important to seal off any possible entry points to keep them out of the house.
Call us today for emergency roof rat removal. We safely get rid of nuisance roof rats from homes!