Who is a Honey Bee Producer?
For the purposes of TAEP, an eligible Honey Bee producer must meet the minimum requirements of beekeeping experience and number of existing colonies as outlined below in Honey Bee Applicant Requirements.
Honey Bee Applicant Requirements
• Minimum experience of five years and current ownership of at least fifteen colonies is required to participate.
• Minimum experience of five years and current ownership of at least thirty existing colonies is required to request cost share for construction of a TDA licensed and inspected Honey Processing Facility.
• Applicants must report experience and number of hives in application proposal to be eligible.
– If the applicant has assisted other beekeepers and mentors in working directly with bees, he or she may count this hands-on experience toward the requirements. The applicant must list the beekeeper’s name, contact information, and length of time spent assisting this beekeeper for this experience to be considered.
– There is not a year requirement for ownership of hives but applicants must own required number of hives at time of application.
Consumer & Industry Services (Regulatory):
• Apiaries must be registered with the State of Tennessee by the time of the application period (October 1 – 15, 2019). Contact TDA State Apiarist at 615-837-5342 for more information.
• If you pack or sell more than 150 gallons of honey per year, you must be licensed and inspected by the State of Tennessee as a food manufacturing facility. Contact TDA Consumer & Industry Services at 615-837-5153 for more information.
Standard Producer – 35% Cost Share – $15,000 Maximum
All approved applicants with Honey Bee projects are eligible for 35% cost share. There are no special requirements for 35% cost share.
Master Producer – 50% Cost Share – $15,000 Maximum
To be eligible for 50% cost share, approved applicants must complete special requirements prior to the program reimbursement deadline of August 1, 2020. The name registered for the special requirement must be the same name as the individual applying for the cost share funding.
Special Requirements for 50% Cost Share
UT Master Beekeeper Program – certificate must be current at time of reimbursement.
• Recertification may be required if course was completed prior to 2016.
• Contact your local UT Extension Agent if you are unsure when your master certificate was issued.
• Visit bees.tennessee.edu or call 865-974-0209
What Honey Bee Projects Qualify for TAEP?
The proposed activity must encompass quality expansion or improvement of pollination or honey production. The eligible categories are: Apiary expansion, honey processing equipment, pollination services and honey processing facility.
Competitive Projects — Honey Bee:
• Priority is given to projects that focus on improving or increasing production of honey, bees or hive related products.
• Priority is given to proposals with a well-developed marketing strategy. Source
About Honey Bees
The best well-known honey bee is the western honey bee which has actually been tamed for honey manufacturing as well as plant pollination; contemporary people likewise value the wax for candle light production, soap production, lip balms, as well as various other crafts. Honey bees stand for just a little portion of the approximately 20,000 recognized types of.
Patriot Wildlife Control offers honey bee removal and relocation for the following areas:
A few other sorts of associated keep and also create honey and also have actually been maintained by people for that objective, consisting of the sting-less honey bees, yet just participants of the category Apis hold true honey bees. The research study of , that includes the research of honey bees, is called melittology.
Honey bees show up to have their facility of beginning in South as well as Southeast Asia (consisting of the Philippines), as all the extant types other than Apis mellifera are belonging to that area. Especially, living agents of the earliest family trees to deviate (Apis florea as well as Apis andreniformis) have their facility of beginning there.
The very first Apis show up in the fossil document at the Eocene-Oligocene limit (34 days), in European down payments. The beginning of these primitive honey bees does not always suggest Europe as the area of beginning of the category, just that the existed in Europe already. Couple of fossil down payments are recognized from South Asia, the presumed area of honey bee beginning, as well as less still have actually been completely examined.
No Apis varieties existed in the New World throughout human times prior to the intro of A. mellifera by Europeans. Just one fossil types is recorded from the New World, Apis nearctica, understood from a solitary 14 million-year-old sampling from Nevada.
The close family members of modern-day honey bees – e.g. bumblebees and also stingless – are additionally social to some extent, and also social habits appears a plesiomorphic attribute that precedes the beginning of the category. Among the extant participants of Apis, the much more basic varieties make solitary, revealed combs, while the extra lately advanced types nest in dental caries and also have numerous combs, which has actually significantly promoted their domestication.
Many varieties have actually traditionally been cultured for or at the very least made use of for honey as well as beeswax by people native to their indigenous arrays. Just 2 varieties have actually been absolutely trained: Apis mellifera as well as Apis cerana indica. A. mellifera has actually been grown at the very least because the moment of the structure of the Egyptian pyramids, as well as just that types has actually been relocated thoroughly past its indigenous array.
Honey bees are the only extant participants of the people Apini. Today’s honey bees make up 3 clades: Micrapis (overshadow honey bees), Megapis (gigantic honey bee), and also Apis (residential honey bees and also close family members).
A honey bee (likewise meant honeybee) is a social, flying pest within the category Apis of the clade. The best recognized honey bee is the western honey bee which has actually been tamed for honey manufacturing and also plant pollination; contemporary people additionally value the wax for candle light production, soap production, lip balms, and also various other crafts. Honey bees stand for just a little portion of the approximately 20,000 well-known types of.
The beginning of these ancient honey bees does not always suggest Europe as the area of beginning of the category, just that the were existing in Europe by that time.